Ben's work comprises a mixture of litigation and arbitration with a focus on high-value, cross-jurisdictional disputes. Ben has substantial experience of and a focus on disputes relating to Russia and the CIS, and he also specialises in work in the field of commercial agency, which often has an international and cross-jurisdictional element. Legal 500 records that "Ben Griffin is noted for his expertise in commercial agency disputes, and he has ‘a deep knowledge and understanding of the case law in this field."
Ben advises on all manner of disputes including disputes arising from fraud and misrepresentation, contractual disputes and corporate and shareholder disputes. Whilst the majority of Ben's work is cross-jurisdictional and involves international parties, he also represents clients in domestic disputes. He has experience of various dispute resolution fora and has worked on disputes in the English High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court as well as in arbitrations under various institutional rules (most commonly the LCIA). He also has experience of working on applications for interim relief, such as freezing injunctions and security for costs.
Key case highlights
- $500 million fraud LCIA arbitration between two CIS parties.
- $250m dispute in the LCIA between Russian and Cypriot entities.
- $100 million Commercial Court Yukos-related shareholders dispute between two Russian bankers.
- $50m CIS-related LCIA arbitration regarding the sale of shares in a jointly owned, high-value business.
- High value LCIA breach of contract/fraud dispute between high net worth individuals from the CIS.
- c.€25m breach of contract and commercial agents dispute with proceedings in Belgium and London, including defeating the defendant's challenge to the English court's jurisdiction and successfully acting for the claimant in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- £26m High Court claim in respect of alleged loans made by a BVI company to a Russian individual which involved allegations of fraud.
- c.£8m LCIA arbitration regarding a share purchase agreement.
- A dispute between Ukrainian parties regarding a high-value asset.
- Acting for the shareholders and directors of a listed Russian mining company worth $400m in the defence of an unfair prejudice petition and application for an interim injunction in the High Court.
- £12m claim brought by a major energy company against an electricity and gas supplier.
- Unfair prejudice and winding up proceedings in the Guernsey High Court.
- Representing the defendants in a £2.2m procurement fraud claim including successfully discharging a freezing injunction.
- Acting for an English respondent to arbitration proceedings brought by a US distributor in America under the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
- Acting for a UK-based agency company specialising in highly technical electronic products used in the aerospace industry against a US-based global corporation in a commercial agency claim.
- A multi-million pound claim in the aerospace sector involving a US-based principal.
- A £1.5m commercial agency claim in the energy sector.
- Advising a major bank on the impact of a freezing injunction freezing a commercial customer's accounts.
- Acting for a UK-based drainage company in a claim against a former shareholder including obtaining an injunction in respect of a business critical issue.
- Acting for the directors of an English company in the defence of a £1.4m derivative action.
- Advising a major sportswear manufacturer on its relationship with a European agency business.
- Acting for a major biscuits manufacturer in a claim brought by an agent.
- Acting for an agent in the fashion sector in claims against a principal based in Hong Kong and New York.
- Acting for a UK-based steel exporter in its dispute with a German company.