Gilbert has assisted on large and complex disputes in a number of jurisdictions in the Middle East, Europe and Africa heard pursuant to ICC, LCIA and DIAC arbitration rules. His particular interest lies in construction law, where he has significant familiarity with the FIDIC conditions of contract.
Gilbert's specialist contentious experience includes:
- Acting for a sub-contractor carrying a major works package on the Safiniya Oil Expansion Project, KSA in pursuit of its claims against the contractor.
- Advising the employer in a DIAC arbitration claim commenced by the designers of a hospital development in Sharjah.
- Advising a contractor in relation to adjudication proceedings regarding the construction of a residential tower in Dubai.
- Advising an owner of an oil refinery in an LCIA arbitration in respect of a claim commenced by a contractor undertaking expansion and improvement works at the facility in Dubai.
- Advising a Dubai-based property developer in an arbitration, pursuant to DIAC Rules concerning an infrastructure claim brought by a sub-developer of a USD 36.5bn residential, commercial and theme park project.
- Advising a Korean contractor in the defense of a USD 200m ICC arbitration claim concerning a power plant located in Africa.
- Providing pre-action advice in relation to a QAR40m claim relating to the construction of a water treatment facility in Qatar.
- Advising the contractor in relation to the construction of the iconic Qatar National Library development regarding potential delay related claims.
- Advising an employer defending an AED 100m DIAC arbitration claim brought by a contractor in relation to mixed-use development in Dubai.