Denise has a vast range of experience of dealing with all types of PL claims covering the whole spectrum of claims in the public sector from the highways slippers and trippers through to the more complex and novel claims including misfeasance in public office, defamation, stress, bullying and harassment. Recent examples of cases include:
- High value and complex claim arising out of alleged bullying and/or harassment and stress claims. In the latter category, recent examples include pre-action work on a potentially sensitive and high value case for a local authority involving a head teacher at a school resulting in the potential claim being discontinued before it got off the ground and with regard to the former, an instruction on behalf of a large local authority in connection with a high value and sensitive stress claim being brought by a manager following alleged bullying/harassment at work.
- The tragic death of a non-ambulant pupil at a local authority school where the wheelchair he was using rolled down steps in the playground resulting in serious injuries leading to his death.
- Instruction in a case where a local authority employee has tragically taken his life following what was alleged to be a difficult meeting with his employers.
- Instruction in two cases on behalf of a large local authority one a fatal accident involving a motorcycle and the other a case involving life changing injuries sustained by motorists where both claimants alleged their accidents occurred due to the state of repair of the roads – each case was abandoned prior to litigation taking off
- As a general rule, all of these claims have common themes – they are complex and require sensitive handling and attention to detail, the balancing of relationships between departments in addition to protecting the interests of the insurers, the local authority and the professionals involved. Denise works well and has developed excellent relationships with her clients and contacts over the years Denise speaks regularly to the market on a number of topics and provides training in-house to her clients. Legal 500 have reported that Denise “works with passion and dedication… provides a first class service” and is ““thorough and pragmatic”
Denise is the Champion for 5 Star Futures Birmingham _ a programme for year 10/11 students developed by one of her colleagues, Simon Price, designed to encourage students to develop their own personal narratives. BCBE runs local events focusing on social cohesion and inclusion in the Birmingham districts which she regularly attends.
Legal 500 comments include "works with passion and dedication" "provides a first class service" and is "thorough and pragmatic".
On a personal level, Denise likes to walk, cook, read and spend time with her family.