Ben's work comprises a mixture of litigation and arbitration with a focus on high-value, cross-jurisdictional disputes. Ben has substantial experience of and a focus on disputes relating to Russia and the CIS, and he also specialises in work in the field of commercial agency, which often has an international and cross-jurisdictional element. Legal 500 records that "Ben Griffin is noted for his expertise in commercial agency disputes, and he has ‘a deep knowledge and understanding of the case law in this field’".
Ben advises on all manner of disputes including disputes arising from fraud and misrepresentation, contractual disputes and corporate and shareholder disputes. He has experience of various dispute resolution forums including arbitral forums and the courts (including the Court of Appeal) and of making and responding to applications for interim relief.
Notable cases include:
- A $250m LCIA dispute.
- Acting for the Claimant in a $60m Yukos-related claim in the Commercial Court with issues of breach of trust and fiduciary duties.
- A $20m arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- C€25m breach of contract and commercial agents dispute with proceedings in Belgium and London, including defeating a challenge to the English court's jurisdiction and successfully acting for the Claimant in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Successfully discharging a freezing injunction against the Defendants in a £2.2m procurement fraud claim.
- Acting for insurers in claims under the Contract for the International Carriage of Goods by Road (CMR), including regularly advising the largest insurer in Benelux in relation to a claims arising under the CMR.
- Acting for an English respondent to arbitration proceedings brought by a US distributor in America under the rules of the American Arbitration Association.
- Acting for a UK-based agency company (specialising in highly technical electronic products used in the aerospace industry) against a US-based global corporation in a commercial agency claim.
- Representing the directors and majority shareholders of a Russian oil and gas company in an unfair prejudice action brought by a minority shareholder.
- A multi-million pound commercial agents claim in the aerospace sector involving a US-based principal.