DWF logo
DWF logo


        View all people


        Child Maintenance

        A person who the children do not spend the majority of their time with is considered a "non-resident" parent. If that is you, you will need to pay child maintenance to the other parent, (the "resident parent") on behalf of the child/children. This is not negotiable if you have income.

        When navigating through the often stressful and complicated legal process of separation and divorce you need someone on your side whose grasp of the legal issues are second to none.

        When should you seek advice?

        You should seek legal advice urgently if a non-resident parent is refusing to pay child maintenance to you and if arrears start to accrue, as immediate action could be required. You should also seek legal advice if you are unsure how much you should pay as a non-resident parent and how the payment should be made to the resident parent. There have also been changes to the law governing child maintenance (April 2015) so please get in touch with our Family Team if you have any questions or concerns.

        Our Family team is committed to supporting you through the different stages of your relationships. We are consistently rated Tier 1 in the North West by Legal 500 and Chambers. Our London office is also ranked by the Legal 500 and Chambers.

        David Pickering

        • Partner // National Head of Family

        Beverley Jones

        • Partner // Head of Family Department (Liverpool)